Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Confession

When I was talking to Lydia, I accidentally let some things slip about myself.  The deal we made was that, if I was to post about her and expose her truth, I needed to set the record straight about myself as well.  I don't really want to; none of it is relevant to this investigation whatever, but it's to prove integrity or something, I guess.  Here goes:

I lied to you about myself in my introductory post.  I only moved to this town about six months ago.

Why did I lie?  I guess for the purpose of storytelling.  I thought it was more dramatic if you heard the story of a woman who's grown up in a small, peaceful town and seen it suddenly change for the worse.  I thought people would care more about the story, and about what's been happening.  I thought people would be more interested in me.

The truth is, I'm kind of a burnout.  I lived with my cousin. Trent. in Baltimore City, drifting from job to job, never able to keep one.  You might remember him from my introduction.  When he got the opportunity for a job down here, emailed seemingly out of the blue, it was like a new chance for both of us.  He promised to let me come with him, but only if I managed to pick myself up.

I guess this blog is my attempt.  I just want to do something important, something meaningful.  I want to help people and I want to tell the story of what's happening here.

I spent the last few days considering quitting.  I was too wrapped up in the story about myself that I had created in my head; the naive ingenue who stumbles on something big.  But I think this project still has merit.  I think what Lydia told me about was interesting.  I'm not sure where to go next in my investigation, but I can't pack it up here.

So, yeah.  This is me.  All of me.

Callie Forrester, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lydia's Dead

.RESET .3 .2 .1 I went to the beach at about 4 AM to beat the crowds that come in early every morning to watch the sun rise.  I wasn't e...